Monday, August 17, 2015

My First Attempt at Making a Smoothie Bowl


In attempting to create a tasty treat and see what all the hype is about with smoothie bowls (after all, its just a smoothie that's not in a cup right?), I fell upon creating my own recipe and thought I would share it with you guys. Seeing as I had an entire bag of wild blueberries from the local state park, I wanted to figure out a way to incorporate them into my meals; this was one of the ways I decided to use them. After picking the blueberries I put half in the refrigerator to use this week and the other half in a freezer bag to use for smoothies, cereal, and salads. I was pleasantly surprised at how tasty and refreshing this smoothie bowl was, and how much I didn't feel like I was just drinking a smoothie with a spoon. Here is my blueberry banana smoothie bowl recipe:


Smoothie 

1 Cup frozen blueberries 
1/2 cup frozen fruit mix (I used a mango and strawberry mix)
3/4 of a banana
1 cup coconut milk (or milk of your choice)
1 tablespoon chia seeds

Toppings
This is your chance to be totally creative, I used:
1/4 banana
1/4 cup blueberries 
1 teaspoon chia seeds 
1 tablespoon raw pumpkin seeds 

Directions
The whole process is pretty self explanatory, but in case you were wondering I used my Nutribullet (any blender will work just fine) to blend everything together. Pour/put the 1 cup frozen blueberries, 1/2 cup frozen fruit mix, 3/4 of a banana, 1 tablespoon of chia seeds, and 1 cup of coconut milk into the blender and blend away till smooth. You can tweak the recipe if you want more blueberry or banana and add more liquid as you go if you want yours to be more soupy (I like mine to be a little thicker). Pour the smoothie into a bowl and apply your toppings. Enjoy!