Friday, August 21, 2015

Kayaking and Exploring

Pawtuckaway State Park in New Hampshire is a gorgeous place to unwind and just experience the outdoors as it is meant to be. I had heard a rumor that the park was covered in wild blueberries, and I wanted a chance to see the seasonal delight. Though the initial hike was not what I had planned, we eventually were able to find the wild blueberries while kayaking.




On the quest to find the blueberries we hiked down Fundy's trail and made our way to Burnham's marsh. We didn't find them while hiking, but we did walk down a wonderfully kept trail onto a bridge and saw some pretty amazing nature, the pictures really don't do it justice.
While walking over a small bridge to continue onto the trail, I looked down and saw a little dam with these beautiful red flowers, if you know what they are please let me know in the comments below, because I would love to know.
 The marsh area was so quite and serene; it felt as though I was looking at something that was untouched by man.
I must admit I was a little let down not finding any blueberries at all, but when we went home we did a little research and found out that the majority of the wild blueberries are actually on the waters edge around the park. So, a couple days later we headed out onto the water. Its crazy how many blueberries were actually on the water's edge, what's even crazier was how I forgot about all the blueberries and really enjoyed kayaking and looking around at all the animals and plants that were surrounding me. 




This snake was basking on a rock right next to a blueberry bush, needless to say I didn't get any blueberries from that bush.
It seems like Pawtuckaway is the place to go if you want to run into an Eastern painted turtle, in my previous post,Weekly Nature, we encountered one as well.