Monday, August 24, 2015

Hiking in the White Mountains

One week ago I climbed a 4,180 ft. mountain in the White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire called North Tripyramid; to say it was the most strenuous hiking experience of my life would be an understatement. The North peak is the most difficult to climb out of the Tripyramid trio of mountains, it contains rock slides, steep inclines, and where we started our adventure, it was very easy to miss the main trail. In fact, for the first 2 hours (after leaving Sabbaday Falls) we were off the path and were hiking straight down a brook.

But before any of that happened, we stopped at two beautiful scenic bridges along the Kancamagus Highway. The first place we stopped was a small bridge that looked out to an amazing view of the mountains and a beautiful body of water.
This little bridge was hidden just off of the Kancamagus Highway, we actually drove right past it. I made Michael turn around and stop so that we could get some pictures and take a look.
Further down the highway, was another stunning bridge, but this one was covered, slightly larger, and  a whole lot older.
As I walked up and down the quaint, rustic bridge (Albany, NH) I was astounded by all my gorgeous surroundings. We walked down the steps outside the bridge, and it seemed as though we were entering another world, it was so much easier to breathe and just let go walking along the shore line.

After tearing me away from the bridge in Albany, we were on our way to Waterville Valley, NH to start our 10.5 mile (actually ended up being 13 miles, I'll explain in a bit) hike to the peak of North Tripyramid Mountain.
 We started our hike at the Sabbaday Falls parking area, got lost a bit, and then followed the Sabbaday Brook Trail 5.2 miles to the summit of North Tripyramid Mountain.  After that, we descended 4 miles on Pine Bend Brook Trail, and for the remaining 1 mile walked on the Kangamangus Highway (112) to get back to the car at the Sabbaday Falls picnic area.

I loved reading the small informational and historical signs that were just outside the parking area where we began our hike.
 After walking a short distance from the picnic and parking area, we stumbled upon Sabbaday Falls. Looking down, the water was so clear and the air smelled so fresh. The fresh, almost just rained type of smell is what dreams are made of, but seriously though, Bath and Body Works really needs to work on getting this scent into one of their candles.



The picture just above this of the falls was one of my favorites from the entire trip, the area was just so relaxing and definitely worth a visit.
 After leaving the falls we stumbled off the trail and made our way down the Sabbaday Brook. We had to zig-zag across the water multiple times to try and get back on a foot trail (f.y.i. we were not successful...at all). I had the soggiest ickiest shoes; after everything was said and done I felt like my feet were raisins (TMI and gross..I know sorry). After being lost for two hours we doubled back and finally found the trail, all I can say, was I made a very loud sigh of relief as we finally got onto dry land that we did not have to dredge through.

There were points during the hike that I had to climb on all fours due to the incline being so steep, and declining I did the ol' butt scoot a couple times to many. There was no extravagant view at the summit, or even a sign saying you reached it for that matter, but after relaxing a bit on a rock at the top of the mountain we followed a small, discrete little path to look out onto the White Mountains, it almost seemed like we were in the clouds.

We started the hike around 10 am and did not get back to the car until 10 pm, good thing we brought flash lights because it was very dark outside. There were points during the hike that I was willing to call it quits and just plop my bum right on the ground and not move for days. The hike was definitely more difficult than we initially thought (my body hurt for days), but in the end it was worth it to see all the amazing things we saw. If anyone were to ask me to do it again, I would in a heart beat, but I would most certainly avoid getting lost the second time around.